COMPENSATION: Competitive with share options available
LOCATION: BioEscalator, Old Road Campus, Oxford
NUCLEOME THERAPEUTICS is fast-growing biotech that is decoding the dark matter of the human genome to uncover novel ways to treat disease. The dark genome holds more than 90% of disease-linked genetic variants whose value remains untapped, representing a significant opportunity for drug discovery and development. We have the unique ability to link these variants to gene function and map disease pathways. Our cell-type-specific platform creates high-resolution 3D genome structure maps and enables variant functional validation at scale in primary cell types. This enables us to discover and develop novel, better and safer drugs.
The initial focus of the company is on lymphocytes and related autoimmune diseases. Our ambition is to build a robust pipeline of drug assets, with corresponding biomarkers, to bring precision medicine to patients in need. Nucleome Therapeutics was founded by leading experts in gene regulation from the University of Oxford and backed by investment from Oxford Sciences Enterprises.
Nucleome Therapeutics is now at a very exciting stage and looking to take the next step in its evolution. We are growing our team and looking for a full time IT Lead who is a self-starter, proactive and wants to work in a dynamic environment of a start-up. You will also have an integral role in the venture and take ownership of the work. Our IT infrastructure is at a fast-growth trajectory, and you will have the unique opportunity to be the owner of this growing infrastructure and play a key role in driving the future directions.
Within your scope will be all Nucleome’s IT hardware and software infrastructure, including cloud resources, on-premises storage, Linux computing servers, local code repositories, local network and VPN, software packages and tools, software licences, user accounts and company laptops (MacBooks).
As part of your tasks and responsibilities, you will:
- Future vision and infrastructure growth o Provide vision, have ownership, and hands-on implement all aspects of IT at Nucleome
- Ensure that the IT infrastructure, including hardware and software, effectively serves the objectives and the mission of Nucleome
- Plan and deliver IT infrastructure growth effectively and timely
- Ensure timely purchase of equipment and licenses
- Proactively collaborate with the broader team, especially the members of the Computational Team, to understand current and future IT requirements
- Build future IT infrastructure extensions on-premises or on the cloud as needed o Draft, implement, and own the IT annual budget
- System and user management
- Manage cloud services, servers, storage and company laptops (MacBooks) o Ensure that required software systems are installed and updated
- Manage, carefully, user access and privileges in different systems o Ensure that every staff member has the needed hardware (e.g. laptop) and software systems at the correct time
- Prepare IT systems for new staff members (e.g. new laptops and user accounts) o Manage user accounts (e.g. email accounts)
- Ensure that licenses are purchased and renewed as needed o Draft, implement, and maintain relevant policies
- Cloud services (AWS)
- Evaluate the need of migrating parts of or all Nucleome’s computing to the cloud o Architect and implement secure, practical, and cost-effective, cloud infrastructure to migrate the company’s on-premise computing to the cloud as needed
- Draft and implement cloud computing policies o Train staff on effective usage of cloud services
- IT security
- Look after cybersecurity at Nucleome
- Draft, implement and maintain security policies
- Promote secure practices and train staff on security policies o Ensure the integrity and resilience of Nucleome’s big data
- Seek necessary security accreditations and certificates for the company
- Review security measures regularly
- Policies, documentation, and auditing
- Draft, implement and maintain all IT-related policies
- Represent the company in IT-related audits
- Ensure all IT policies, documents, disaster recovery plans, and records are kept in shape ready for execution and inspection when needed
- Keep a record of all in-use IT systems and their specifications
- Internal and external relations
- Manage relations with IT-related third-parties
- Lend a helping hand to team members who are blocked by IT issues
- Effectively balance and wisely prioritise competing tasks related to IT strategic programmes and internal IT-related requests from other staff members
- Premises migration
- When the company changes premises, you will plan and implement the migration of the IT infrastructure.
- Do and learn what it takes to fulfil the job
- BSc or higher in Information Technology (IT) or related disciplines.
- Substantial experience/track record in the management and administration of IT systems including:
- Linux servers
- Cloud services (such as AWS)
- Demonstrable understanding of and experience with data security
- Knowledge and experience with local networks and VPN administration
- Ability to promote best practices in IT, such as the embrace of the best security practices.
- Ability to work independently and as a member of a multidisciplinary team.
- Ability to grow beyond your comfort zone and learn what it takes to achieve goals effectively.
- Strong communication skills and ability to communicate complex ideas to technical and non-technical audiences.
- Experience supporting and collaborating with experts in other disciplines.
- Flexible and cooperative approach to colleagues.
- Strong organisational and time management skills; as well as the ability to prioritise and balance competing demands.
- A positive "can-do" and result-oriented attitude, with openness to new ideas and the ability to work flexibly in a highly dynamic environment.
- Experience in the research sector, especially where big data storage and high computational demands are involved (e.g. genomics, biotech, or non-biology-related big-data research areas)
- Experience in setting up effective cloud infrastructure from scratch
- Knowledge of the Python language
- Experience in the drug-discovery sector
To apply please send your CV to firstname.lastname@example.org. If you know someone who could be a good fit, please share this posting with them.
At Nucleome Therapeutics equality, diversity and inclusion are really important to us. We welcome applications from all candidates irrespective of age, disability, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, religion or belief, or marital or civil partnership status.
What to read next
22 December 2021
Nucleome is looking for a Senior Bioinformatics Data Scientist who is a self-starter, proactive and want to work in a dynamic environment of a start-up.
22 December 2021
Nucleome is looking for a Senior Full Stack Software Engineer (full time) who is a self-starter, proactive and wants to work in a dynamic environment of a start-up.