COMPENSATION: Competitive with share options available
LOCATION: BioEscalator, Old Road Campus, Oxford
At Nucleome Therapeutics, we are building a passionate, creative and dedicated multi-disciplinary team of scientists on a mission to decode the dark genome to bring precision medicine to patients. We are building a rewarding and fun environment where people embrace creative ways of thinking, take smart risks and feel empowered to make a difference. If you want to be an integral part of our team on this journey, then join us as a Research Assistant.
We are looking for a highly motivated, organised, detail-oriented and proactive scientist with knowledge and experience in molecular biology. At Nucleome, you will learn and apply state of the art genomics technologies, including our world-leading 3D genome analysis essay recently published in Nature, to discover novel drug targets in immune cell types and beyond. You’ll also support the drug discovery activities to advance our targets closer to the clinic and support the smooth running of the laboratory.
This role is therefore ideal for someone with a strong interest in genomics and/or immunology, and who is keen to develop their skills within fast-growing biotech.
What we are looking for
- Experience in molecular and cell biology techniques, such as DNA extraction, PCR, gel electrophoresis, qPCR.
- Experience in handling mammalian cell lines or primary cells.
- Demonstrable interest and enthusiasm in gene regulation and genomics.
- A meticulous approach to lab work.
- Demonstrated ability to maintain clear and comprehensive electronic records of work undertaken.
- Ability to work as a team member or independently, taking advice when appropriate but also using initiative and taking ownership of work when required.
- A high level of organisational skills to plan own work, basic experiments and troubleshoot problems.
- Good interpersonal and communication skills to interact with others at all levels.
- Strong IT skills (including proficiency with Word, Excel and PowerPoint).
Advantageous skills, experience and attributes
- A BSc and/or MSc degree in biology, genetics, biochemistry or a related discipline.
- Industry experience or other experience in a research assistant capacity.
- Experience in omics techniques.
- Experience or knowledge of immunology.
- Experience with UNIX platforms and languages such as R or Python, or an enthusiasm to learn.
At Nucleome Therapeutics equality, diversity and inclusion are important to us. We welcome applications from all candidates irrespective of age, disability, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, religion or belief, or marital or civil partnership status.
About the company
NUCLEOME THERAPEUTICS is a fast-growing biotech start-up that is decoding the dark matter of the human genome to uncover novel ways to treat disease. The dark genome holds more than 95% of disease-linked genetic variants whose value remains untapped, representing a significant opportunity for drug discovery and development. We have the unique ability to link these variants to gene function and map disease pathways. Our cell-type-specific platform creates high-resolution 3D genome structure maps and enables variant functional validation at scale in primary cell types. This enables us to discover and develop novel, better and safer drugs.
The initial focus of the company is on lymphocytes and related autoimmune diseases. Our ambition is to build a robust pipeline of drug assets, with corresponding biomarkers. Nucleome Therapeutics was founded by leading experts in gene regulation from the University of Oxford and backed by investment from Oxford Sciences Innovation.
What to read next
Nucleome is looking for a Senior Bioinformatics Data Scientist who is a self-starter, proactive and want to work in a dynamic environment of a start-up.
Nucleome is looking for a Senior Full Stack Software Engineer (full time) who is a self-starter, proactive and wants to work in a dynamic environment of a start-up.
Nucleome is looking for a Senior Full Stack Software Engineer (Part-Time) who is a self-starter, proactive and want to work in a dynamic environment of a start-up.